Want to record a video of your Skype conversation? It's not difficult at all. There is no one size fits all solution, so Windows and Mac users will need different tools.
Remember that audio and video recording without the consent of the other party is illegal in many countries.
Be sure to check the laws of the area where you or your interlocutor are located, and if necessary, notify him about the presence of a recorder.
MP3 Skype Recorder (Windows)
This program is free for non-commercial use, it is convenient, but only records the audio portion of the call. To record a call with it, do the following.
- Download the latest stable MP3 Skype Recorder from the official website, install it on your computer and run it.
- After launch, you will see a window where you can select the desired settings.
- Specify the folder to save the recording, configure the microphone and speakers, select the desired quality. In the upper left corner of the program you will see a green On button. All you need to do is establish a Skype connection and click this button. A notification about the start of recording will appear in the lower right corner of the screen.
With the free trial, you can record video conversations up to five minutes long.
If you want to record longer videos, you need to buy the premium version ( $ 20 ).
- Go to the Evaer website, download the program by clicking on the green Download button at the bottom of the page and install it.
- Restart Skype. When the program opens again, it will ask you if you want to give Evaer access to video calls. Click OK .
- When you make a video call, a round red Record button will appear in the upper left corner. Press the button at the right time to start recording.
- Press the same button again when finished talking. Its shape should change to a square.
The recording will appear in the Evaer window under the name of the Skype user you spoke to. Right click, select " Open " to view the file in the destination folder. From there, you can play it, rename it, or download it to media.
Bandicam is one of the best programs for capturing photos and videos from a monitor in high quality. It is useful not only for saving Skype calls, but also for any other cases when you need to record what is happening on the computer screen, whether it be gameplay or a tutorial.
The trial version will add a watermark to your video. If you are going to upload the recorded video to your channel, it is better to purchase the paid version, where this mark will not be present.
- Download the program from the official site, install it on your computer.
- Once launched, you will see a large gray window with many options. If you wish, you can study Bandicam in detail, it is a very powerful tool. But for now, look for the gamepad-shaped icon in the upper left corner. To its right is a gray rectangle, click on it.
- You have entered monitor recording mode. A frame should appear at the edges of the screen, the file resolution will be indicated in its upper left corner, and a red dot with the words " REC " in the upper right corner. Everything within this frame will be recorded. Its size can be adjusted with the mouse.
- Open Skype. When the connection with the interlocutor is established, click " REC ". When finished talking, press REC again to end recording.
- Return to the Bandicam window. In the General tab, you will find a line that contains the path to the saved file. If desired, the folder can be changed to any other.
For better audio capture, you will need to turn up the volume on your computer or move your speakers closer to the microphone so that your interlocutor can speak clearly on the recording.
ECamm Call Recorder (Mac)
The free version limits you to seven days of use. This is enough time to decide whether you are happy with the program or not. ECamm is widely reviewed as the easiest way to record Skype conversations on Mac.
- Download the trial version from the official site. You can buy the full one later if you want.
- Unpack the ZIP archive, there will be an installer inside. Launch it and install ECamm Call Recorder. Confirm your computer password if required.
- Start Skype. Together with it, another small window will open. It will display the sound levels of your microphone and the voice of the interlocutor. If the levels jump as you speak, everything is working correctly. To start recording, click the button in the center of the window.
- The ECamm tool allows you to edit a record. Expand the program by clicking on the magnifying glass.
- If necessary, you can adjust the volume for each side of the conversation, select one or two Skype windows for recording, the format of the exported file, etc. There is also a button for direct upload to YouTube and Vimeo or for export to iMovie.
Videos shot with the trial version of the program will contain a watermark.
Keep in mind that if someone speaks on a weak computer, video may be recorded at a low frame rate or in poor resolution, even if you specify different settings.
Not willing to pay $ 30? And for you there is a solution - the QuickTime player integrated right into the Mac. Apple's acclaimed video player has a screen recording function which is great for Skype calls.
Start QuickTime and click " File " - " New Screen Recording ". That's it, the recording has started. You can complete it in the same way.
Like Bandicam, QuickTime cannot record your conversation partner's speech directly. You can use SoundFlower or any similar software for better audio capture.
The Topic of Article: How to record a Skype call on Windows and Mac?.
Author: Jake Pinkman