In this article you can familiarize yourself with the capabilities of MS Office Starter 2010.
Very often comments appear on our site, the essence of which boils down to the fact that a different version of this software product is used in articles from the MS Office 2007/2010 category published on the CADELTA.RU site. Users complain that their version is unable to create footnotes, signature line, note, ads are present.
Now let's explain what the matter is: all the articles on our site are written for the version of MS Office 2010 Professional, and a stripped-down version of MS Office Starter 2010 with a limited set of features and advertising is installed on your computers and laptops. For clarification, refer to office.microsoft.com.
The release of Microsoft Office Starter 2010 gives home users who have purchased computers preloaded with software the ability to start performing their simplest and most common work tasks right away. This release consists of only two applications: Microsoft Word Starter 2010 and Microsoft Excel Starter 2010, which are versions of Microsoft Word and Excel with limited functionality and advertising.
The Office Starter edition is only available as pre-loaded software on select new computers and can be upgraded to the full Office suite at any time. The Office Starter edition is not a trial version of the software — it does not expire. If you decide to upgrade to Microsoft PowerPoint 2010, Microsoft Outlook 2010 and the rich features of the full version of Office, the upgrade can be done with just a few clicks. A link to the full article is here.
This means that if you want to use all the features of MS Office 2010, you need to update it to the full version of MS Office 2010 Professional. The following is an example of all the limitations of Word Starter compared to the full version of Word. Sample taken from office.microsoft.com.
Restrictions related to working with documents:
1. Add-ons are not supported. Word Starter installs without add-ons.
Some features may not be supported in a document created using a Word add-in.
2. SmartArt Graphics . Creation is not supported.
In a document that contains SmartArt graphics, you can edit and format text, format shapes, cut, copy, paste, and delete SmartArt graphics.
3. Bookmark . Creation is not supported.
In a document containing bookmarks, you can use bookmark links to navigate between bookmarks.
4. Cross-reference . Creation is not supported.
In a document containing cross-references, you can update data or remove cross-references.
5. Table of Contents . Creation is not supported.
In a document containing a table of contents, you can update data, copy and paste elements, format text, or delete a table of contents.
6. Footnotes . Creation is not supported.
In a document containing footnotes, you can use footnote links to navigate between footnotes. You can also cut, copy or paste footnotes and format the text.
7. Signatures . Creation is not supported.
In a document containing signatures, you can update data. You can also cut, copy, or paste index items and format the text.
8. Index . Creation is not supported.
Data can be updated in the document containing the index. In addition, you can cut, copy or paste footnotes and format the text.
9. Formula . Creation is not supported.
In a document that contains formatted formulas, you can display formatted formulas directly in the document and modify them. You can also cut, copy, paste, or delete formulas and format text.
10. List of illustrations . Creation is not supported.
In a document containing a list of illustrations, you can update data. In addition, you can cut, copy or paste elements and format the text.
11. Link Table . Creation is not supported.
In a document containing a link table, you can update data. In addition, you can cut, copy or paste elements and format the text.
12. References and References . Creation is not supported.
In a document containing references and bibliography, you can edit references and sources, and update data. In addition, you can cut, copy or paste links and sources, and format your text.
13. Signature line . Creation is not supported and digital signatures are not supported.
In a document containing a signature line with a valid signature, you can view the contents of the signature. Additionally, you can cut, copy, paste, delete, and resize the signature line.
14. Quick Blocks , including content controls, auto text, and fields. Content controls cannot be created.
If you open a document that contains content controls, you can change their content or delete them. Some types of AutoText (reusable content), document properties, and fields can be inserted into a document in other ways than from the Quick Block Gallery. For example, in Word Starter, you can insert the current page number or the current date and time using the commands on the Insert tab.
15. Objects can be added to a document by dragging and dropping them onto the document.
Some object types are treated as images, other object types can be opened by clicking the File tab and clicking Open (requires installed software to open objects).
16. Notes . Creation and deletion are not supported.
In a document containing notes, you can format and modify the text in the notes.
17. File formats : DSN, MDE, ACCDE, ODC, UDL, WLL.
Opening these file formats is not supported in Word Starter.
Restrictions related to functionality of Word Starter
1. Quick Access Toolbar can be displayed above or below the ribbon, but commands cannot be added or removed from it.
2. Ribbon Customization . You cannot customize the Word Starter ribbon, but you can collapse or expand it by pressing CTRL + F1.
3. Track changes . When you open a document that has been edited with change tracking enabled, you can see the edits in it. You cannot accept or reject changes in Word Starter, or turn change tracking on or off.
4. Building Blocks Organizer is not available in Word Starter for customizing collections of title pages, headers and footers, page numbers, and labels. Collections themselves are supported in Word Starter and contain items that are available on Office.com when you have an Internet connection.
5. Document protection . You cannot enable or disable document protection. You can only make changes to a document with security enabled where you have permission to do so.
6. Language Packs . Proofing tools are supported, but the language of the user interface or Help cannot be changed.
7. Sharing . You can share documents by saving them to Windows Live SkyDrive, a network location, or by e-mail. But Word Starter lacks a command to fax documents over the Internet or to save documents to a SharePoint site.
Link to the full article here.
It remains to remind you once again: if you want to remove all limitations of the MS Office Starter 2010 version, you need to purchase the fully functional version of MS Office 2010 Professional.
The Topic of Article: Overview of MS Office Starter 2010 features.