A laptop is a portable PC that you can take with you wherever you go. It is a great tool for doing business, connecting with loved ones and having fun. You can connect two laptops to each other if necessary.
This feature is useful for quickly transferring files between two computers. Once the connection is established, you can copy the data from one laptop and paste it into a folder on the other.
It works faster than transferring information using a removable storage or cloud storage, especially in cases where the files are heavy. In this case, you are independent of the Internet connection. There are only two conditions: the presence of an Ethernet cable and Ethernet ports for both devices.
Windows + Windows
Ethernet cables come in many shapes and sizes, but if you are using an older laptop, you should purchase a crossover cable. On modern laptops, you can use the classic Ethernet cable that almost everyone has at home.
- Connect a cable to the network ports of both devices.
- On each laptop, click the Start button and go to Control Panel .
- Open the System tab.
- The System Properties window will appear. In the " Computer name " tab, the last section refers to the workgroup. Select " Change ".
- Think of a team name and enter it on both computers.
- Click OK , close all windows and restart the notebooks. Changes will take effect.
In the “ My Computer ” window, you will see a shared folder called a workgroup. You can copy files into it and view them on a second laptop.
Windows + Mac
Using a crossover cable, you can connect devices running on different operating systems to each other.
- Connect a cable to each laptop.
- Click the Windows Start button, go to Documents .
- Choose the folder you want to share, or create a new one to share with your connected Mac.
- Right clicking on the folder will open a menu where you will find the command “ Share ”.
- Select the " Individuals " option. The following window will open.
- In the top line, click on the arrow and select “ All ” from the drop-down list.
- At the bottom of the window, click Share .
- Click Done .
- On a Mac laptop, open Finder, click Go at the top of the screen, then Connect to Server .
- In the text box, enter the IP address of the Windows computer in the formatsmb: // IP address / shared nameand click Connect .
- A new window will appear with the "Registered user" field. Here you need to enter your Windows computer username and password.
- The system will ask you to select a shared folder, the contents of which will be available to both computers. You can copy data into it and open it on Windows.
The Topic of Article: How do I connect two laptops to each other using an Ethernet cable?.
Author: Jake Pinkman